9 to be inducted into UCA Sports Hall of Fame | News
CONWAY, Ark. (AP) - The University of Central Arkansas Sports Hall of Fame will induct nine new members this fall.
Officials announced Thursday that John Cameron; Anita Curry; David Evans; Mickey Johnson; George Jones; J.E. Lawrence; John Robinson; Bill Shimek and Verlon Spencer make up the 2012 class.
Evans was a defensive back, and played professionally in the AFL, the USFL and the CFL. Cameron was an outstanding tight end, and Curry was a top Sugar Bears player in the early modern era.
Johnson played basketball and was a longtime high school coach, and Jones played baseball and golf before coaching at the high school and college levels.
Lawrence was an outstanding quarterback in the 1950s and Robinson lettered in basketball and track. Shimek played football, baseball and basketball and Spencer was a safety.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Upcoming Events near Conway
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Blake Shelton coming to Verizon Arena this summer
- Packet House Deal Gets Murky; Restaurant For Sale
- A horse pulling a carriage in North Little Rock cause an accident after it was spooked Saturday.
- Noise Alert: Explosives training at Robinson Maneuver Training Center
- 2nd annual River Cities Dragon Boat Festival