Suspicious package leads to Conway elementary school evacuation | News
CONWAY, Ark. (KTHV) - An elementary school in Conway was evacuated due to a suspicious package donated to the school Monday.
The package, a black backpack, was donated to Marguerite Vann Elementary by an unknown man. We're told after the man left, the principal opened the backpack, and noticed suspicious wiring attached to it.
"This backpack and the wires that they saw was a part of hook-up, that you can use to hook-up your MP3 player or music-listening devices. These wires were made into this backpack," says Latresha Woodruff with the Conway Police Department.
So, as it turned out, new technology prompted the evacuation. As far as the person who donated the backpack, it is still unknown at this point.
Woodruff says it's understandable why school officials acted in the manner, as it is better to safe.
The students were evacuated for an hour and 45 minutes.
Upcoming Events near Conway
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Blake Shelton coming to Verizon Arena this summer
- Packet House Deal Gets Murky; Restaurant For Sale
- A horse pulling a carriage in North Little Rock cause an accident after it was spooked Saturday.
- Noise Alert: Explosives training at Robinson Maneuver Training Center
- 2nd annual River Cities Dragon Boat Festival